How to Stream Quest 2 to Twitch
Quest 2 doesn’t have a direct option for streaming to Twitch, however, there are various methods you can use if you want to become a Twitch streamer. Here are the 3 easiest methods to get started streaming without getting super technical.
Requirements to stream Quest 2 to Twitch
Before you even attempt to stream to Twitch, there are a few things you will need:
- A Quest 2
- USB-C cable or a good internet connection with a 5G router
- A computer that is powerful enough for streaming (4th Gen Intel Core i5-4590 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X CPU, 8GB of RAM, and modern GPU from NVIDIA or AMD)
- Wired internet to your PC
- A Twitch account
Method 1: Streaming to Twitch Using Oculus.com/Casting
Step 1 – Cast From Your Quest 2 To Your PC
The first step is to cast Quest 2 to your PC through a web link. If you are unfamiliar on how to do that, check our guide here.
Step 2 – Setup Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
There are various ways that you can set up OBS, but we are going to go over the most basic way, and you can edit it how you want later on (by adding stream Elements, repositioning your camera, tuning the greenscreen, and other things that you might want to include in your stream):
- Open OBS
- Add a new source as “Window Capture”
- Select the browser that is streaming your Quest 2 content
- Add other sources (like your camera, an overlay, or a notification pop-up)
- Arrange your scenes
- Stream to Twitch like you would usually do from your PC
Method 2: Stream Quest 2 to Twitch with SideQuest
Step 1 – Turn on Developer Mode on your Quest 2
To do this, you should follow these additional steps:
- Log in on developer.oculus.com with the account you are using on your Quest 2
- Click on “My Apps” in the top-right corner once you log in and then create an organization name
- Enter your organization name. You can put pretty much anything here, it just needs to be a unique name, feel free to put your gamer tag if you do not have a better idea.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions before hitting submit.
- If you are using Windows on your PC, download the Oculus ADB drivers. In case you are using MAC or Linux, skip the installation.
- Open the downloaded folder and install the “android_windusb.inf” file
- Open the Oculus app on your phone
- Open the menu from the bottom right corner of the app and select “Devices”.
- Pick your Quest 2 device from the list and make sure that your device is connected to the phone
- Scroll below and tap on more settings or “Developer Mode”.
- Tap on the box to turn it blue
- Make sure the pattern password is disabled on your Oculus Quest 2, as the developer mode will not work
- Under the same settings, you will find “Unlock pattern”
- After you make sure that there is no pattern, you can exit the settings and reboot your Quest 2
Step 2 – Connect your Quest 2 with the PC by using SideQuest
To connect your Quest 2 with SideQuest, you will have to do the following:
- Download and install SideQuest on your PC
- Open SideQuest
- Connect your Quest 2 to the PC by using a USB-C cable (the link cable)
- Allow access with the pop-up prompts in your Quest 2
- Check if the Quest 2 is connected to the SideQuest app in the top left corner
If you have a green light, your Quest 2 is now connected to SideQuest.
Step 3 – Cast Quest 2 to your PC and then stream to Twitch
To cast the gameplay from your Quest 2, do the following:
- In SideQuest, click on the TV icon in the main toolbar on the top right.
- Configure the quality of the casting so the video is not distorted, then hit “Start Stream”
Once the gameplay is being cast to your monitor, configure your Open Broadcaster Software (OBS):
- Open OBS
- Add a new source (Window Capture)
- Add other desired sources (the camera, pop-up for notification, your overlay, sponsors, etc.)
- Arrange the order of sources
- Stream to Twitch like you would usually do it.
Method 3: Stream Quest 2 to Twitch without a PC (by using your phone)
If you do not have a PC, but have a powerful phone instead (one that has a Snapdragon 630 and 4Gb of RAM at least) you can use it to stream your Quest 2 gameplay to Twitch. How? Just follow the steps below.
Step 1 – Cast Oculus Quest 2 to your phone
The first thing you should do is download the Oculus app to your phone. Android users can do it from the Google Playstore, and iOS users can do it from the App Store. Once you installed the app does the following:
- Open the Oculus app
- Select Menu, then go to Casting
- Select the headset you would like to cast from
- After the device is connected, from “Cast to” on your Quest 2, select the Oculus App
- Start casting
Step 2 – Stream to Twitch
To stream the Quest 2 gameplay from your phone to Twitch, you have to do what you would usually do to stream from your phone:
- Download the streaming app of your choice (Streamlabs, Onion, Omlette…)
- Link your Twitch to the downloaded app’s account.
- Set up your stream
- Hit the “Go-Live” button.